Diarrhea is the passage of loose or diluted stools. Remember that everyone experiences to have diarrhea even infants! Diarrhea is not a disease, but it is a warning sign of a number of diseases.
Some people think that diarrhea is just a common thing, and is not life threatening. This should not us from seeking help in cases of diarrhea especially if it happens to our little one. If action towards diarrhea is not rendered immediately, dehydration that could alter the child’s natural balance of water, sodium, potassium, and chloride is most likely to occur.
Here is nutritional regime plan for babies who are suffering from diarrhea:
• It is necessary that you have a firm oral rehydration solution such as Pedialyte which is to be given every 4-6 hours. This is really the important thing. You should not let your baby get dehydrated. There are some who are suggesting to continue breastfeeding since it is vital and helpful. You have to cautiously look after how the baby would respond to milk. Then, settle on whether to for the moment discontinue giving milk to the baby.
• Do not give the baby milk products. It is better that you consult your pediatrician when you notice something that brings you worries. There are some cases that babies may turn out to be lactose intolerant during this time.
• If your baby has already started eating solid food, you can give tasteless foods. You can give your baby apple sauce, strained carrots, bananas, or squash. Mashed potatoes without additives, rice cereal,a or oat meal can also be provided for your baby.
• Follow the BRAT diet in times of diarrhea. B: Banana, R: Rice cereal, A: Apple sauce, T: Toast
• No spicy foods or sauces should be given to until the infant diarrhea settles
• Stop giving oils or butter to the baby.