Diarrhea is considered as a contagious health condition; therefore, extreme care must be taken in order to prevent this disease. Prevention of this disease is very important because of the debilitating condition that the illness may bring. The infection associated with diarrhea is accompanied by more other infections. For that reason, it is important to prevent one from acquiring other infection. Here are some tips that will help you to prevent the acquisition of diarrhea:
- First thing to do is maintain cleanliness by washing hands and feet especially after traveling.
- Regular hand washing should be a habit because diarrhea can be transmitted from one person to another. Doing so will not only keep your hands clean, it will also make food preparation safer, thereby reducing the chances of transmitting the disease.
- Do not buy food or drink anywhere. Make sure to dine in places that are known for their cleanliness and sanitary environment.
- Do not buy and eat foods that are sold at stations because there is a chance that these foods were exposed to dust and other pollutants. Avoid buying food from the street because sanitation in these areas is largely taken for granted.
- If you are drinking water from an uncertain source or if there is an outbreak within the community, you should boil the drinking water first to kill the bacteria that causes diarrhea.
- You should thoroughly wash the fruits and vegetables in clean running water.
- Check your garbage regularly. Clean the gutters, especially a clogged one.
- You should use proper footwear to prevent dirt or parasites that will go through your skin.
- Maximize vitamin and nutrient intake to maintain a healthy body and prevent diseases.
Maintaining cleanliness can help you to prevent the acquisition of other bacteria that can cause diseases, such as flu, itching of the skin.